Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Save YOUR Boobies!



It's October which means everything is pink pink pink!!  As if you can't already tell, it's Breast Cancer Awareness month!  In the past year I have learned about 4 friends from past jobs who have been diagnosed with breast cancer, two of them losing their battle. Hearing about this, I have been really motivated to check myself and never miss a month.

--------------------------------------------------------------

According to the American Cancer Society...
  • Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in the United States, other than skin cancer. It is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, after lung cancer.
  • The chance of a woman having invasive breast cancer some time during her life is about 1 in 8. The chance of dying from breast cancer is about 1 in 36.
  •  Breast cancer death rates have been going down. This is probably the result of finding the cancer earlier and better treatment. Right now there are more than 2.9 million breast cancer survivors in the United States.


Here's what you should know...
  • Yearly mammograms are recommended starting at age 40 and continuing for as long as a woman is in good health
  • Clinical breast exam (CBE) about every 3 years for women in their 20s and 30s and every year for women 40 and over
  • Women should know how their breasts normally look and feel and report any breast change promptly to their health care provider. Breast self-exam (BSE) is an option for women starting in their 20s.


Some women – because of their family history, a genetic tendency, or certain other factors – should be screened with MRI in addition to mammograms. (The number of women who fall into this category is small: less than 2% of all the women in the US.) Talk with your doctor about your history and whether you should have additional tests at an earlier age.

------------------------------------------------------------------

What I have done to remind myself is I stick one of those shower hanger things (pictured above)  in my box of tampons.  That reminds me when I get my period to go hang it up in the shower and once my periods over, I'll be reminded to do the breast self exam. What can you think of to remind yourself to do your own exams?  If you're over the age of 40, when was your last mammogram?  Ladies, don't wait, you owe it to yourself to get checked! If I haven't convinced you...follow along on one of my friend's journey as she blogs here.  Sue is an amazing young women who is fighting her own battle and has decided to invite you into her journey.  Please read along and add her to your prayers!  Love to each of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment