Tuesday, October 23, 2012

On Trick-or-Treaters

I've never experienced having trick-or-treaters at my house...ever.  I grew up on a dead-end, unincorporated street with no neighbors so for the one trick-or-treater we did get, I generally had to hide and pretend no one was home. (My parents both worked out of the home so I was usually the only one home at that time.)

After moving out of my parents house, I lived in Chicago where trick-or-treating doesn't happen door-to-door so after 33 years of waiting, I am finally able to hand out candy this year!  I've been thinking about it for  the past 2 months now and how excited I was to actually be able to distribute candy and see all the cute little costumes!  I did a little research and learned that our apartment complex has it set up that if you want to participate you can get a bag (or something of the sort) from the main office to display outside so kids will know to knock and we'll deliver them candy.  So pumped!

Well tonight I went to Wal-Mart to get the candy and oh my gosh was it overwhelming!!  So overwhelming in fact that after about 10 minutes going up and down the aisle 15 times, I left without any candy.  First off, when the heck did bags of little miniature pieces of candy get so expensive!?  It was like $7.50 a bag!!  And second off how am I supposed to decide what every kids favorite piece of candy is?  I don't want to be one of those people who gives bad candy or those icky wax liquid things. Plus, after discovering the cost of the candy there's no way I want to give more than one "fun-sized" piece of candy to each kid! So I ask...what do all the cool kids want for candy?  Growing up, I didn't like chocolate so liked all the chewy candy and suckers but I know I wasn't the norm, so is chocolate the way to go?  This has become way more stressful than I'd have ever imagined it to be!  I'd love some guidance on this as I would really like my first Halloween trick-or-treating experience to go as well as possible. Who would have thought this could ever be so difficult, confusing and expensive!?

1 comment:

  1. Check out Oriental Trading.com...you can order in bulk, they have pencils, crosses, all sorts of little fun stuff you could add to your candy bowl! We just did Trunk or Treat at our church and my kids were excited about the candy, no doubt, but they were thrilled with the little goodies that weren't candy!

    You may want to hand out just candy, in that case most kids LOVE dum dum suckers, they are appropriate for all ages, especially the little ones! Then get a mixed bag to put in the bowl with it, so if some older kids come, they can get a Snickers, kit kat, twix bars or something similar. Remember to ONLY open the big bags of what you are using in the bowl, any unopened bags of candy, you can return to the store! :)

    ReplyDelete