Monday, April 22, 2013

Happy 90th birthday Grandma!!


Today is my grandma's 90th birthday!  She is an amazing woman and such a joy to be around.  For her birthday my cousin had the idea to put a book together of all the memories of Grandma which I'd like to share.  But one thing I forgot to add was what a wonderful example my grandma and grandpa were to me of what true love and commitment was.  They were the most amazing couple who shared everything and loved each other through thick and thin.  The truly stuck it through the good times and the bad to live life together and to the fullest.  Here is the letter I wrote to my grandma for her 90th birthday...I am so thankful I have such a fun grandma to share all these great memories with.

Dear Grandma,

Happy 90th birthday!  What a wonderful opportunity to share with a few memories and reasons I love you and all the joy you have brought to my life:

·         You have always been and always will be my favorite Olive Garden date! I love that we always order the same thing every single time…soup, salad, breadsticks and of course, wine!

·         I remember a week when Shawn and I stayed at your house while my parents were on vacation and every single morning you would listen to WGN talk show and whistle the morning away. I’ve never been a morning person so never really understood how you’d be whistling!

·         I’ve always loved our many family bike rides on the prairie path with you, Grandpa and all the cousins, aunts and uncles.

·         I love how you call me after almost every Cubs win!

·         Polka music, polka music and more polka music!! You love your polka music!

·         I cherish the many sleep-overs as a child and now the sleep-overs as an adult which include a glass of wine, or two or three.

·         I remember interviewing you when I was a young kid for a school project to learn about your family.  We were sitting at your kitchen table on Iowa and I just loved hearing all about your life and growing up.  I learned about your parents, sisters, brother, where you’ve lived and your courtship with Grandpa then your marriage and raising your four kids.

·         I love that you call me after most Cubs losses to tell me you're "selling" your Cubs playoff/world series tickets even if it’s still only Spring Training!

·         It was an extra special graduation day when you and Grandpa came all the way to DeKalb to sit through a very long commencement ceremony then took pictures with us outside in the really cold and windy temperatures!

·         I fondly remember all the trips up to the mobile and visits to all your friends and family when we were there and more bike rides.

·         I remember you taking me and Shawn to a county or state fair in Wisconsin where I was so excited to play a game and won a goldfish…

·         …I also remember you comforting me when that goldfish died that next day.

·         I remember going to yours and Grandpa’s 60th wedding anniversary party in Wisconsin and realizing all over again what an amazing couple you are. Not only was the love you share for each other such a cherished gift but also how many friends you have and what wonderful people you both are.  It was such a vivid memory of mine to remember that day how truly special you both are!

·         I’ll always remember all the Christmas and Easters we had at your house in Addison and how you’d always cook a full meal and make a lamb cake for Easter. 

·         I love how no matter what time or day of the week you're just a phone call away and usually not more than a week will pass and either you call me or I’ll call you.  Sometimes it’s just a quick hello or other times you’ll talk and talk and talk.  And I love you so much for how much you love to talk.  I never wonder where I get my own love to talk!

·         I remember how when I lived in Chicago you’d worry about me even when the things that were happening were more 15 miles away on the complete opposite end of the city.  I’ve always felt the love with your worries.

·         I will always remember how from a very young age you taught me to say gosh (extra emphasis on the shhhhhhhh) instead of God

·         You always made me feel special and valued by making me my own mini coffee cake without nuts because our family coffee cake always had nuts in it and I hated nuts!

·         You'll always have a cocktail with me no matter the time or place, or for that matter you’ll always have a cocktail with anyone no matter the time or place.


·         I have memories of me getting locked in the car and I couldn’t unlock the door (ok I don't really remember that one but I have heard that story enough times to almost remember!)

·         I have always loved how welcoming you are to Jason! From the day you met him you made him feel like he’s part of the family.  I love this quality about you!!

·         I’ll never forget the day you and grandpa visited me in Chicago and we went to my favorite bar for lunch and you both drank like the rest of the kids

·         I remember every time we drove up to the mobile when we’d get to the toll booth and the ripple in the road would make that noise so you’d say “buuuurrrrrrppppp,  buuuurrrrrppp, buuuurrrrrppppp!”  Every single time!

·         I will always remember how you and Grandpa were at the barn the day I got my first horse!  Then you even went with us to lunch to celebrate!

·         I'll always laugh when I think about the night you, me and Aunt Shelby were drinking out on your porch and the fire department showed up because you accidentally hit your emergency call button and how we just laughed and laughed and laughed.

Grandma, thanks for all the wonderful memories!  I’m so thankful for you and the friendship we have.  Thanks for always being there for me and for our phone calls!  Wish I could be there with you today but know you’re with the best people in the world, you own family!

Love you,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment