Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Mom and Dad Visit!

What a fun 8 1/2 days with my parents!  They arrived on Good Friday and stopped in on their way to my school and met all my kids and the team. I was so glad they were able to see where I work and what I do every day. That night we went to church for Good Friday's service so they were able to see our church. Everyone was tired from the week and they were tired from the long road trip so we stopped and got some pizza on our way home.

Saturday my mom and I went and got pedicures as we love to do then went shopping since one of my goals for her visit was to get her help decorating our living room and picture wall in the hallway.  We hit up a few stores and found a print we both liked which set the tone for all our week-long decorating.

Sunday was Easter so we went to church and I was so excited about the service. I wish every one of my friends and family could have been there to here the message!  The Spirit was so alive and present!  I just love Easter and was so happy my parents could be here this year with us.


After church we stopped on our way home at a restaurant/bar we like with great views for brunch. 


 In the afternoon my mom, Jason and I took the dogs for a walk since it was in the 60's and blue skies. I realized after reading my post about our first Easter here that we did the same thing last year.  I'm happy we continued what I hope can be an Easter tradition in Colorado.


My mom  cooked us a delicious ham dinner complete with all the sides! Growing up when I was really little we always went to my grandma's on our way home from my other grandma and grandpa's house.  She always had ham waiting for us.  It was so nice to have our Easter ham again this year and have my parents here with us.  Not to mention not having to cook a thing!  Thanks so much Mom!!


Monday we headed out to the mountains and went for lunch then hit up some shops in Breckenridge.  My parents took us skiing in Breck for years when we were younger so it was fun to all be back and reminisce.  


We took the gondola up to the base for a beer. Sophie didn't enjoy the gondola much but once we got to the base she was loving the people watching!  After Breckenridge, we went to my parents friends house in Silverthorne.  They have a beautiful custom home with amazing views. We loved getting a tour, I felt like I was on whatever those shows were on MTV with the celebrities homes!  My mom's friend even cooked us dinner. Jason and I took the dogs home while my parents stayed the night to visit some more.

My parents came back on Tuesday and we had dinner together and watched a movie.  On Wednesday my mom and I went to the doctor since she had been sick for almost a month!  (she had already been to the doctor and taken antibiotics so obviously needed something to help her!)  Doctor diagnosed her, gave her new meds and we were on our way to shop, shop and shop some more to decorate! We had a successful afternoon of shopping. When I got home we had dinner and watched another movie.  


Thursday we drove to Estes park (oh my gosh was the drive beautiful!) We started the afternoon with a picnic outside.  Then we hit up all the shops.  Mom and I found a cute little store with some great decorative items. Dad and Jason enjoyed all the cookie shops and I loved the salt water taffy store!  Dogs were welcome in most stores so that was fun too.  


Great weather and beautiful scenery!


The pups loved being with us.


On our way home we stopped for pies.


Friday my mom, dad and I went to Red Rocks. The plan was to hike but with the altitude and both of my parents still not feeling the best/recovering from their illnesses we instead went and checked out the amphitheater. Not like that's not a huge hike in itself!  Again the pups loved being with us exploring at Red Rocks.


Sophie and Cooper had no problem walking up all the stairs making us all feel really out of shape.  At least my parents had the excuse of the altitude affecting their lungs. :)  

After Red Rocks my mom and I finished up the shopping decorating. That night we went to dinner to celebrate my dad's birthday at Olive Garden.  Then we came home and watched another movie.  

I was so sad to see my parents go today.  The time went way too fast.  I have said over and over again how my only real complaint about living here is how lonely it is so to have them here was such a treat!  We did a lot of fun activities while also just relaxed and enjoyed each others company. I know we did a lot more than I just shared but these are the highlights.I am already missing them being here and all week keep replaying what we were doing at this time last week! I already have a trip planned to go back to Chicago in July so I can see them again. It's helpful knowing I have something planned.For now I at least have all the decorations my mom helped us buy to remember their trip by!  Thanks Mom for helping me decorate, thanks Dad for hanging everything, carrying the tree in ;-) and thanks to both of you for all you did for us and for your company!  Can't wait to have you visit again!



No comments:

Post a Comment