Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Moving Day 2

Cooper was dropped off at Daycare for the day... brilliant idea by me, if I must say so myself. We had two movers coming at 10:00 to help us with the big furniture and boxes. I went downstairs to help Jason position the truck so we could get it all loaded.  When he opened the back I saw how full it already was and immediately panicked.  From the looks of it, it seemed that 2/3 of the truck was already full and we still had a lot of furniture and boxes that needed to fit in there!  I started telling him my concerns so we started brainstorming and the best we came up with for a last minute effort would be for us to rent another trailer and then we'd pull my car and I'd drive Jason's SUV withe the trailer behind it.  I would have no problem doing this for 30-40 miles but to drive 1,000 miles as emotional as I may end up being plus having a cat who I thought would be crying the whole time.  It was just not what I had in mind for our drive out to our new home.

We decided we'd just see how much we got into the truck then figure out a plan if it didn't all fit...so I was praying like crazy.  I still had to do my devotion so turned to that the devotion spoke to me and said to trust Jesus and in all circumstances so I said just that out loud and was praying that if it was His will that I'd be able to drive my own car out to CO.

The movers came and were amazing.  They knew just how to maneuver each big and small box with each large and small piece of furniture in just the right way to use up every square inch of the truck.  They admitted though that there was no way every piece of furniture and/or box was going to fit.  Jason and I started going through all the pieces of furniture that we could leave behind and came up with our IKEA dresser, night stand, a glass/metal TV/book stand, a few other smaller pieces (laundry baskets, litter box, all our food, cleaning supplies, some clothes, etc.) and the biggest item that had to be left behind was our couch.  (But it was bought used and was in really bad shape..but at the same time it's hard to move knowing we aren't going to have a couch to sit on at the other end. But by the end of the day, we were both just thankful to not have to pull another trailer and just be done with it. Yay for just getting as much in as possible and not having to pull a trailer!

The movers had the truck loaded by around 1:30 but we still had so much stuff to bring out to the trash, fit into our cars and then still clean the condo.  My goal was to be out by 5:00 to head to my brothers and say bye to them then meet my parents in DeKalb where we would have pizza at the hotel, then get a good nights rest for the next day of driving.  Ha!  How quickly I learned that was just a faint dream!

We had SO MUCH stuff and every load we brought down we found ourselves coming back up to more stuff.  Then at around 4:30 we learned that the trailer we would use to pull Jason's SUV wouldn't be ready until the NEXT MORNING! After we cursed Budget Truck Rental, panicked and said some prayers we both started calling every moving truck place in Chicago trying to get a trailer to pull the SUV behind the truck. As you can imagine, Budget isn't compatible with UHaul and there were no trailers in Chicago at this late of an hour.  After about 60-70 minutes of making phone calls we finally got a trailer 8 miles south (45 minutes each way) that would pull my car...which meant I was driving Jason's SUV to Colorado and we weren't heading out of the city anytime soon.  (mind you...we're getting really hungry at this point and Cooper is still at daycare and needs a ride home! Plus Comast never showed up to get our cable boxes and of course wouldn't answer our calls).

Plan was now in motion and about an hour later, we were finishing up loading up all our stuff when we got a call from Budget...our original trailer had arrived!  Praise God!  So we figured out how to get Jason to the truck rental place and for me to pick up Cooper by 7:00 and would meet back at home in the end.  I swear when we got back to our place, stuff had multiplied while we were gone.  We still had so much stuff to get packed into our cars and so much left to throw away!  Meanwhile it's getting really late, my parents are no longer meeting us in DeKalb for dinner and my brothers not sure he can wait up anymore to say goodbye as we drove through and I had most certainly missed my window of opportunity to say goodbye to my niece, Kaylee.  But Jason and I kept plugging through and load after load we finally had the place cleaned up well enough to clean.  We spent some time getting the trailer loaded onto the truck and the SUV up on the trailer (all on Irving Park on  Friday night with cars zipping by at 40 mph...real safe.) But we were finally on the road at 9:00 and headed to my brothers house!

As most know, I was very worried about my cat Sam traveling in the car.  He gets very nervous and usually poops and pees within about 5 minutes of the trip and with the day I had had, of course this trip would be no different.  So the 55 minute drive out to Naperville was a rather stinky one!  Poor Sammie...and poor me! We pulled into my brothers at about 9:55.  We went in, cleaned out Sams crate and said our goodbyes.  I was able to say goodbye to Kaylee as she slept and printed a map of our route to Colorado so I could track on paper how far we were each day.  Shawn fueled us up with some crackers and waters and we were back on the road at 10:30.

We then drove our way to DeKalb and arrived around midnight both completely exhausted and drained but ready to conquer the next two days of driving.  Sam adjusted very quickly to the hotel room and Cooper passed out immediately (have I said how much I love bringing him to daycare!?)

Which brings us to Days 3-4 of the move...to be continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment