Saturday, April 7, 2012

Final Day of Moving

Monday was what I considered to be the final day of moving.  We still had to unload the entire truck, get a storage area and return the truck in the town over.

We woke up early because it was an uncomfortable night on the air mattress...we both decided we're not fans of them unless we're camping! (which we've never even done together!) We had two guys coming to help us unload our truck. We hired help...AKA these guys were being paid (a lot of money in my opinion) to help us unload the truck.  From the very beginning we realized they were not the kind of help we had in mind.  The guy spent 35 minutes going over all the details of payment and time allotted and started billing us after only 15 minutes.  Then they were soooo lazy.  They had to be told what went upstairs and then took long breaks between each load.  They would try to "one-up" the other guy with who could carry heavier loads which meant there was a lot of stopping along the way and at one point the guy dropped three of our boxes down 18 stairs.  Not only did he not apologize for it but he broke some decorations.  When their two hours were up they told us they had to leave. (even though they told us they would stay an extra (paid) hour if we needed them to.)

So while it was great that they got our TV's and a few other heavy items up that I wouldn't be able to get up here on my own, for the amount of money we paid we should have gotten a lot more of our stuff up here. And certainly without them breaking anything and without us having to tell them to keep moving.  Very frustrating.

The rest of the afternoon was spent getting the rest of our stuff upstairs and into our new storage unit. It was bitterly cold on Monday with strong winds.  Definitely not ideal weather to be outside without gloves and moving stuff around.  We were both tired from the days before and quite honestly, just done with the truck, boxes and moving furniture.  Once the truck was finally emptied we still have to get it back to Budget and with a full tank of gas.  Getting diesel gas into a truck pulling a trailer in the suburbs isn't quite as easy as pulling off the expressway.  Somehow Jason managed again to impress me and drive the truck all through town and into a gas station.  I was beyond excited to have that truck dropped off and not have to deal with it anymore and I never even had to ride in it, let alone drive it!

That afternoon while I was unpacking I got pretty sad.  I can't really explain it. The weather was so cold and gloomy and nothing was in it's place. The night before when we were out in town it didn't feel right like what I had remembered, I was really tired and I just felt really far away from home.  I wouldn't say I was doubting moving but I was just sad and wanted some normalcy. By the time we got dinner that night I was feeling better.  Jason was teasing me that all I needed was some food, but I was sad for about 24 hours.

By nighttime I was feeling much better and was so glad to have our bed put together.  We both passed out by about 9:30.  We blamed it on being on mountain time...so technically it was already 10:30. :)  We made it, our bed was in place and things it was really starting to feel like home...our home!

No comments:

Post a Comment