Friday, April 6, 2012

Days 3 & 4 of Driving, Driving, Driving...

Friday night neither one of us got a good nights rest because Sam thought he was training for the Olympics or something and was doing acrobats all night long over Jason and I.  We woke up bright and early to meet my parents in town for breakfast and to say our goodbyes.  It was not easy seeing my parents upset. It made me feel so guilty.  I know I haven't chosen this path myself and that it is God leading us to Colorado but when I see how sad it's making my parents I feel extremely selfish in this decision.  I pray so hard that they will be okay as time goes on and I know they will be but for that morning and what time will follow after, I feel guilty and selfish.  As I told them, I know God would not choose this path for us if it meant that they would continue to hurt.  Something must come of this down the road for them as well and we just don't know what it is right now. And they both agree.

After we said our goodbyes, we hit the road.  Jason went ahead while I ran to Walgreens and got gas which was perfect.  I was very worried about Sam and how quickly he'd lose control of his bowels/bladder but he never did.  From the second I put him in the crate he just laid down and chilled...for the entire ride. My sunroof was open so when the sun was shining on him, he'd sun himself or clean himself.  If I talked to him, he'd meow happily back.  He was so content.  Besides safety, it was the biggest thing I had been praying about. I was losing sleep over bringing Sam in the car with me over that long of a trip and here he was as happy as a clam just sitting next to me sunning himself or sometimes curling up into a ball and sleeping.  Only God could have done that!  I did give him "calming aid treats" from PetCo which may have been the key but he was more than calm!

As for Jason, he obviously had to go slower than my car and with the hills his truck wouldn't go as fast as 50 mph sometimes.  We used "Find your Friends" app to locate each other and checked in on our phones  every once in a while.  I met up with him along the way at a couple different gas stations or rest stops.  We made a stop at his brother and sister-in-law's new home in Des Moines and got a tour of the new house and visited with them for a while then said our goodbyes.  We still had another 4-5 hours left before our final destination but it went quick.  Driving through Iowa was beautiful; so hilly, windy and green.  Plus it was 70 mph then 75 in Nebraska!! Wow, I don't remember that from my last drive through there!  We decided I'd keep going and not wait for Jason so I could get settled into the hotel with Sam.  We got Subway when we got there and then both pretty much passed out...both pets included!

I was extremely excited when we woke up on Sunday.  We had about 420 miles left so about 6 1/2 hours (plus stops) and I couldn't wait to get to our final destination.  Off we went and again Sam was calm as a could be!  Every stop I made, I'd get out of the car and come back in and I swear it looked as if he was smiling at me!  Jason and I met up at a gas station along the way as I was starving and it seemed like we drove miles and miles before really finding anywhere to eat.  Have I mentioned how hot Jason looked driving the truck?  I was so impressed.  That beast of a truck and Jason drove it like it was nothing.  In and out of gas stations, around turns, eventually through neighborhoods.  So impressive.  One more reason I fell more in love with him.

I was watching my map like crazy so I could see the "Welcome to Colorado" sign. (I had missed it entering Nebraska! Once I did, I lost it with emotions.  I was sobbing like a baby...mostly good tears but just "oh my gosh, I just moved all I know across the country" tears.  It felt so great to finally be feeling something.  I kept telling everyone it would hit me once I was done student teaching and only had two weeks left in Chicago, then I thought at the going-away party, or when I pulled out of Chicago...but I never really felt like it was real.  Well crossing over the state boarder and reading, "Welcome to Colorful Colorado!" it hit me hard! I can't really explain how I felt but it was partly relief and excitement.  It wasn't really sadness of any kind, just new feelings.  I was homesick going to college just two hours away so I will still never understand how I could move across the country but can really only say it's God who prompted me and will (hopefully) carry me through.  It was a very emotional and joyous feeling to be in Colorado.  The scenery changed immediately from when I crossed state lines, just beautiful!

At this point, I was just ready to be "home." We'd been driving a long time, my CD's/playlists had run out and all the emotions I had been waiting to feel were felt.  But we still had another three hours.  Those were the longest three hours ever.  Jason was pretty far behind me and the longer we drove the further he was behind me.  We again agreed for me to keep going and get to our apartment so I could get the keys before the office closed.  I needed gas so got off at some exit that I thought said was gas and realized that was just another expressway. (There were two Exit B's or something...it was weird and dumb.)  Well by the time I was able to turn around and get back onto the road I was supposed to be on, it only allowed me to go East.  So then by the time I was able to turn back around (again, no exits) I was basically back to where Jason was!  So we both stopped for gas for the last time and were able to share in our Colorado excitement of being able to see the mountains and how close we were!  It actually worked out well that we got to see each other before actually getting "home."

The rest of the drive was still painful...I just wanted to be there!  But once we did finally get there and got our keys, it was beautiful! I just love our apartment, much more spacious than Chicago (we're in the suburbs now) we have a pantry, lots of storage and our view is amazing!  If we try really hard we can see the mountains to the west and our "back yard" is a swampy area with a bike trail running through and huge park directly behind us.  It's so peaceful!

I brought Cooper to his new dog park...I'll have to post pictures later.  Its on a HUGE hill with like a 90 degree angle straight up.  (exaggerating a bit, but not much!) Jason hadn't seen the area yet except for online so he was checking everything out.  We decided to just sleep on an air mattress that night since we had hired help for Monday.  We went to dinner at Olive Garden and then ran to Target for some basic supplies/necessities.  I was feeling all sorts of emotions but was mostly so glad to be "home."  It had been a long four days and I was glad to have arrived safe and sound!


Heading out of DeKalb..already so good. :)


Welcome to Iowa!


Jason in the truck ahead leaving Des Moines


Welcome to Omaha!


At a rest stop...such a great road tripper!


at our second hotel...just 5 minutes of getting there.  I'd say he adjusted quite well!


Nebraska! (Day 2)


Denver - Straight ahead!!


The sign where I lost it :)


The last stop before seeing our new "home" he looks excited doesn't he?


Our exit!! Only 1.5 miles from HOME! 


One more day of unpacking the monstrous truck...to be continued...

1 comment:

  1. We are a lot alike. I cried through your blog. Don't you DARE feel guilty about your Mom and Dad. I know how hard it must have been for you to say good-bye, but I have known them almost all my life and I know they would NEVER want you to feel guilty. They only want you to be happy. They will adjust, just like I have to being away from my kids.

    ReplyDelete