Monday, April 9, 2012

Monday Meanderings

It's been a while since I've done this and lots has happened in the past week so I thought this was the best way to capture it all!

Monday Meanderings...

On Adjusting -- We've both been adjusting well to Colorado.  Its like I keep telling everyone, there's a lot of adjustments to be made here.  Not only are we adjusting to a new state there's many other things that go with that.  Jason and I have both been living in the city for many many years, so we're having to adjust to suburban life from city life, which in itself is a big change.  Plus Chicago was a big city...love Denver and all but it's not a big city so things are just a little slower here and Chicago is a little more "ahead of the times" than here.  (I've noticed that a lot with the trends...just being honest.)  Plus obviously it's going from the Midwest to the West which is a cultural change in itself...can't wait to get me some cowboy boots!  The prices here are a lot cheaper than in Chicago, we notice it in everything from dining out, Coopers vet, gas (woohoo!) taxes, and just everything.  We ordered a beer with our dinner on Friday night and it was $3.89. Are you kidding me?!  So while it's an adjustment in a lot of ways, it's really been a lot of fun taking it all in.

On our Apartment -- We just love it!  It's so spacious and new.  The view behind our place is amazing, all open land with the mountains to the west (if you really look).  We have an L shaped balcony which we love (already grilled out twice!). There is a pool, hot tub, fitness center and fire pit that we still have to check out. At night we hear owls "whoo-ing"  and coyotes howling. We still have a lot of unpacking/settling in to do but it's getting there.  Very very pleased with our home!


Our apartment from the back while we were walking on the trails.


Our view to our "backyard"


another view


View to the west...you can see the mountains but this picture doesn't capture it.

On The Views - The views are amazing.  I can't capture them in pictures, they just don't do it justice. I keep saying, just as I never got sick of the Chicago skyline every time I drove into the city, I don't ever see getting sick of the mountains.  They're just gorgeous...can't want to get out there and do some hiking!

On Weather -- The weather here the first two days were pretty awful, especially on Monday.  It was so cold, gloomy and windy.  I shared on an earlier post that I needed gloves to move all our boxes and didn't have any unpacked.  It was pretty awful and not a very warm welcome to our new home!  Tuesday was freezing but at least it snowed.  I love snow, so while it was gloomy and cold at least it was pretty!  I put my cactus outside on Sunday when it was 70 and sunny and forgot about it.  Oops...but it seems to be doing okay now. :) Ever since Wednesday it's been sunny and warm every day!  The sun makes all the difference! (a big reason why we wanted to move out here!) We are on day 6 of sunshine and blue skies all day long.


my cactus outside last Tuesday...oops.

On Cooper and Sam -- They're both doing so well!  Cooper barks a lot, but it's because this is his 3rd home in 5 months!  There are so many other dogs walking the trails behind our apartment and all around.  He doesn't know what is his yard and what's not.  We're working on that. Other than the barking, he is doing great.  Sam has been fine since we got here.  He's made himself quite comfortable and loves all the windows!

the boys :)

On our New Couch -- We had to leave our couch in Chicago..which wasn't a terrible thing since it was in really bad shape but it was hard coming here and not having anywhere to sit.  So I was searching Craigslist every day, responding to many many ads per day and driving all around the area checking out different couches. (it was a good way to see the different suburbs, that's for sure!) Finally by Thursday, we found the perfect one. I have been wanting a sectional, its in great shape and should last a few years.  Love!!


On our Dog Park (and other dogs) -- We have a huge dog park here, but no one goes!  And no one lets their dogs socialize.  There are so many dogs here at our apartment complex and no one lets Cooper near them.  Even on the trails, people hold their dogs back.  It is so weird!  Cooper did meet one other dog on Saturday (a Goldendoodle) who was the same age as him and they played for a long time.  So we hope to see him often, but they're moving out in June.  Poor Cooper needs some dog friends!


Cooper loves to run at his new park! 


Cooper first (and only) friend!

On Running -- I went for my first run on Friday.  Okay, I know I'm in bad shape...I really haven't been for many runs this year but it was bad.  Really bad.  Where I ran it wasn't even hilly but when you compare it to Chicago...it was hilly!  Plus the altitude hasn't been bothering me nearly as bad when I was here last May and January but I sure felt it when I was running.  Cooper wasn't bothered by either and made me feel like a fool, but it's definitely a whole different experience running here.  I think I'll stick with the treadmill for a while until I get back in shape, then can attack the hills.  And in the meantime, my shins will thank me....OUCH shin splints!


On a job/Volunteering -- Last night I was pretty down...the weekend was over and Jason goes back to work today.  While I still have a lot of unpacking to do and tons of errands (Cooper groomed, to the vet, Dr. appointment for me, etc.) I really need/want to find a job!  It's been 3 years and 3 months since I have had a real job, I just graduated and am ready!!  But the school year doesn't start until August and I haven't been able to find any job listings in (low-incidence disabilities)...plus I keep hearing the district here is hard to get into and the other district is having financial problems so isn't hiring right now. But as of this morning, I am very excited because I start volunteering on Wednesday at a therapeutic horse back riding barn.  I've been researching places for the past couple months to possibly make a career out of this. (It's been something I've wanted to do since I went to Mexico on my mission trip) so am excited to get the ball rolling!  I have no idea what to expect but am excited and praying!


On Church -- We are taking Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace University" for the next 13 weeks at a non-denominational church in Parker so we decided to check that church our first. We decided it wasn't for us. We think we'll give it another shot...you can't judge a church from just one try, especially on Easter Sunday but there are so many churches to choose from we'll continue our search (probably for a long time!).



the view as we were leaving church...

On Easter -- Easter Sunday was different but as the day went on I was trying to figure out what I was comparing it to.  Easter has always been different for me because my parents had a time-share in Cancun that would sometimes fall on Easter.  So there were times I was in Cancun or others when they were in Cancun and I was home.  Plus it wasn't until about 6 years ago that I started celebrating Easter for what it really is.  It's one of my favorite weekends, beginning with Good Friday and finishing up with Easter.  But we didn't go to church on Friday...I didn't even realize it was Good Friday until my mom texted me about it.  (shows you how disconnected I am here the past week). As I said, I wasn't into the service we attended at all. I was missing Willow Creek and other churches I have attended on Easter, but we still had a nice day.  We tried to get reservations at a country club out here for brunch but couldn't.  So we went to PF Chang's and then went for a walk with Cooper on the trails behind our house.  It was a new way of celebrating Easter. :)

Happy Monday! Hope you have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I can just tell I am going to love this new blog of your's!! It's a great way to get insight as to what you experiencing out there in Colorado!
    Great post Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving/change can be so hard and so exciting at the same time. I am sure it will fall into place soon!!

    ReplyDelete