Friday, May 4, 2012

Thoughts after 34 Days of Living in Colorado

Happy Friday! Instead of doing the normal "Fill in the Blank Friday" I thought I'd share my thoughts about the first month of living in Colorado.  I've talked to a few girlfriends from Chicago this week and by talking with them that I realized how incredibly happy I am here in Colorado. It's only been a month so I am only speaking of the emotions I have today and right now with only 34 days of living here...and I'm sure that knowing I am going back to Chicago in about a month and a half helps. But for right now, today on Friday, May 4, I just couldn't be happier with our decision to move here!

I love how the sun literally shines almost every day!  I love how active I've become while here and how much more rested I feel. I love our apartment and driving around trying to get my bearing on where everything is. I love all the mountains in the landscape and knowing they're just a car ride away to climb, hike and ski on.  I have a sense of peace here that I haven't felt in a long time...I really can't explain it.  Jason was in Oklahoma this past week and while I missed him like I always miss him when he's gone I was surprised at how well my week went with me truly being "alone."

I'm not completely removed from the reality of what it means to have moved here. I miss my parents. But I think that once they've come here to see our place and spend some time exploring with us and all that will help.  I also miss my friends, but thankfully most of them have called to check in and we've spent time catching up. I really really need a job...but I didn't have a job in Chicago. I think I would be feeling much different about my "peace" here if I had quit a job to move here, but I am in no different position than I was when I left Chicago. I am applying for about 10-15 jobs a week (as they're posted by schools) and am obviously in the process of getting certified to be an instructor in therapeutic horse back riding which wasn't an option while living in Chicago.  My only wish would be that there are unlimited funds available for all my friends and family to come visit and for me to go back to IL whenever I wanted but since that's not an option, I'm thankful for the opportunity to go back in June to see everyone and then I'll have to take it from there.

Jason has reminded me numerous times when I've told him I can't believe how content I am here that God wouldn't have sent us here with a feeling of uneasiness or unhappiness...but I guess I didn't really understand what was in store for me here or what that would really feel like. I know I have to take one day at a time.  I know I have plenty of sad days ahead, like when my niece is born in June and I'm 1,000 miles away and only get to see pictures of her instead of holding her and telling her face to face how much I love her.  Not to mention how little I'll get to see my 20 month old niece, Kaylee. Or knowing all the days I'm missing out on all the afternoon Olive Garden dates with my grandma. When the days come that we can't be with our families for the holidays including dinners out when we celebrate our birthdays.  Or when we can't be at weddings because we aren't able to find reasonable airfare or who knows what else may come along. But for now, on this Friday only 34 days of living here I am so very happy we followed through on where we believe God has led us because I really feel His presence and absolutely love it here!

Happy Friday to all of you!  We hope to go hiking tomorrow then continue the search for our church home on Sunday.  xoxo


1 comment:

  1. So happy you are happy. Denver is so beautiful, we feel very much at peace here in Prescott, which is also high altitude and very beautiful. We, like you are still searching for our church home. I spoke with your Mom and Dad the other day and of course they miss you, but they both sounded very good and happy. Love you!

    ReplyDelete