Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Boulder Heart & Sole 10K

As I've mentioned, I registered a while back for the Boulder Heart & Sole 10k and was hopeful that I'd be able to run the Denver Rock & Roll 1/2 this year.  Well of course, in true Stephanie form, during my training for the Heart & Sole, I had some serious issues with my IT Band.  I had to take a couple weeks off which really killed my training.  In addition, the summer here was hot so I had to get my runs in and finished by around 8:00am and with me not being much of a morning person it just didn't work as I'd planned! 

I tried to do a lot of cross training at our community gym this time to avoid injury while also keeping up with the cardio portion but I knew I wasn't near ready for this run.  I ran the 5K last weekend just to see how I would do and I was able to finish but I felt like I was dying for the last part of it.  Then for my runs last week I could barely run a mile without walking (no exaggerating) and generally quit because I got so bored, my lungs felt like they were going to explode and was feeling so out of shape. 

This past weekend I was dreading the 10k, especially because it's over an hour away and I had to be there by 6:45am.  Well as it turns out, I am so glad I made the trip up there and gave it a shot because I was able to run the whole thing and it was probably the  run and prettiest run I've ever done! My pace wasn't my best but given the hills and altitude I was beyond proud of myself for not walking at all.  I didn't even allow myself to walk through the water stations! (But to be honest...I was mostly afraid if I walked I wouldn't be able to start running again!)  Such a great way to end the weekend and my last day of summer before my job started!  A super big thank you to Jason for getting up so early with me and driving out there to then just have to sit around and wait for me to finish.  It was great to have you there with me to celebrate with the post-race food and beer!


Before the race - pretty sure I'd have to be brought back in a golf cart!


Suns already out and shining - and I forgot my hat and sunglasses!!!


And we're off!


Crowds already starting to thin out


Last bit of the road before the trail began (and you can see the trail up ahead before it turns)


Cows to my left - it was odd that it was so rural there but it was gorgeous!


Somewhere around miles 3 or 4 we ran along the canal - peaceful!


While running these yellow flowers jumped out at me, so pretty and natural in it's surrounding


Another view - somewhere around mile 4 or 5


Gorgeous views the last couple miles


I did it! Thanks Jason for supporting me!!!


Eating some brats and chilling!

No comments:

Post a Comment