Monday, February 25, 2013

Happy Birthday to (a Sick) Me!

I was excited to have my birthday fall on a weekend so we could make it a birthday weekend filled with fun activities.  We decided to go to the mountains and do a ski trip for Saturday then hit up a brewery for some Apres ski and then Sunday (my actual birthday) would be more skiing finished with a nicer dinner or maybe to a brewery I have been wanting to try.  We got a hotel for both Saturday and Sunday night because I didn't want to be driving back in a lot of traffic on my birthday and that way we could still do a hot tub night or whatever without having the long drive back looming over our heads.  Plus then Monday I would be off to get caught up on laundry, get caught up on some work and take Cooper to the dog park and whatever else I needed to do.

Friday night I came down with a very sudden and sever throat and was convinced it was strep because of how bad and fast it came on.  But by Saturday morning I was congested and had all the typical signs of a cold.  I pushed through and we headed up to Beaver Creek to ski for the day.  I skied barely a half day and called it quits after a couple hours because I was feeling so bad.  I learned the hard way that skiing is not the type of activity that can be done when you're not feeling well. Plus it was snowing, cold and just not the best ski conditions so combined with how bad I felt I was practically crying as I went down the slopes.  Jason still skied to try to get a full day in while I took the shuttle back and got our car. We went to one of our favorite  brewery's for some apps but the whole afternoon was a blur. When we got to the hotel, we watched a movie and I was asleep by 9:30.

Sunday I woke up feeling really sick so the plan was for Jason to go boarding until at least noon, then when he got back we'd decide how I was feeling and maybe do something in Breck to make it worth the hotel stay.  At that point my plan was to still stay in the hotel Sunday night because I really didn't want to waste the $100 we'd paid for the room!  Jason went out to take Cooper out (and surprise me with McDonalds burritos for breakfast) but came back about 30 minutes later waking me up to tell me he got into an accident.  He was fine, Cooper was fine and the other car's party was fine but both cars were banged up.  Drivable but definitely needing lots of repairs.  So now he wasn't going boarding anymore, I was wide awake and the whole morning continued into this foggy, pretty awful day.  Around noon, we packed up our stuff and headed back home.  Because we were practically in a blizzard (why he even got in the accident in the first place) it took us over four hours to get home!!  So much for me not spending much time in the car on my birthday. We stopped at Panera on our way home for chicken noodle soup for me and opened my presents.  We finished the night by watching a movie on the couch while I read all the super nice Facebook birthday wishes and  then went I to bed.

Not the best birthday ever...but Jason and I have a Groupon for sushi that I asked him if we could use next weekend as a do-over.  I still feel terrible about wasting the money from the hotel and just not being able to do all we had planned for the weekend, but there's plenty more weekends we can do all the skiing and eating that we'd had planned.  I am thankful I got this sick over a weekend and today when I had already scheduled to take the day off because I can't imagine having to work with how terribly I felt, not to mention spreading germs! So I slept in super late today and while I'm still congested and coughing at least I am not in a blur today!  I am on the mend!

Thanks to all who called or texted to wish me a happy day!  Also a special thanks to anyone who sent cards!  I love getting cards and opening them all together with my dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment