Monday, November 12, 2012

Happy Birthday Jason!

Happy birthday to my best friend, Jason!  We celebrated big this weekend by activating our season ski/boarding pass in the mountains.  Jason boards, I ski.  (Technically Jason does both but for the most part enjoys boarding best.)

I love birthdays so wanted to do something special for the guy who doesn't love a lot of attention of much attention to birthday. Plus, I'm not big into cold weather skiing but figured this was a great way to get out there and use our passes and celebrate Jason! We even found a great deal on a local hotel so we were able to make a weekend out of it.

Saturday morning we woke up at 5:00 so we could be packed and on the road by 6:30.  We first stopped in Breckenridge to drop Cooper off at daycare but were on the slopes in Keystone by 9:00.

It was snowing for much of the morning which meant it was really cold (and wet) but also made for some great conditions early in the day!  It was super crowded as there were only 3 runs open.  By the end of the day it was getting icy and well...we're a little older now so our bones and muscles get a little sore a little earlier than they used to!  We considered it a good day and called it quits around 2:00.

We had dinner (nachos and soup) at Backcountry Brewery and were back at the hotel before the sun was down. Spent some time in the hot tub and I think I was asleep by 8:00!

Sunday morning we woke up, had breakfast and were on the slopes by 8:30.  The lines were significantly shorter and we got about 7 inches of snow since the day before!  The conditions were much better but it was only about 7 degrees.  Did I already mention that me and cold don't mix well?!  I did about 4 runs and Jason did an extra without me.  Pretty sure he could have boarded all day into the night but we had to pick Cooper up by 2:00.

We got Cooper from daycare, picked up a large hot chocolate for the ride home so I could thaw out and got home around 4:30.  Jason and I spent some time in our community hot tub which was pretty peaceful and romantic. I made soup while he unpacked and we finished the night by watching the Bears game, Dexter and Revenge.

Today we're both off (Jason for Veterans Day, me because it's his birthday!) but he has to study for a test.  I'm happy to have today to get caught up from everything I couldn't do this weekend.  We're going out to dinner tonight to Maggiano's where he'll open presents.  YUM Maggiano's!

Such a great weekend, especially for a guy who doesn't like attention or like celebrating his birthday. I'm glad we got to do something he enjoys doing...I look forward to many more trips to the mountains to ski. I am so thankful for an activity we both enjoy and are both at around the same level!  This weekend really strengthened our marriage and gave me more of an appreciation for living in Colorado, which I needed!

Happy birthday Jason!  Hope you feel extra loved this weekend and today - you deserve it! xoxo


The roads on our way out there!  
Amazing how it's a completely different world of weather
 in the mountains compared to where we live!


Jason boarding toward me


Hot husband ;-)


Busy slopes with lots of snow!


Top of the gondola...snow clearing to blue skies


Resting point for a quick pic!


Beautiful views once the snow stopped!


Our reward for the day- we each got one...(they are small...this pic makes them look huge!)


Jason <3


Me :)


Hot Tub felt SOOOO good after two days of skiing!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great weekend, I had so much fun in the mountains and spending the days with you. Thanks for a great birthday weekend. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the epitome of Colorado right there!! Great pics!! Happy birthday Jason!

    ReplyDelete