Friday, September 13, 2013

Rain Day - No School!

Woohoo! No school!  And I've kind of been waiting to post this to make sure all is really okay in the area because it wouldn't be that great to be excited about a day off school while peoples houses are flooding or being destroyed, right?

Obviously Colorado is making national news with all the rain we've gotten the past few days. It's comical to me because I've been wanting to post all week how I have had a new car for 3 months now. I've had the car without mats for 3 months but haven't given it much thought until this week and was reminded that you need car mats because of rain and snow. Well it never rains here in Colorado! It's one of the reasons we LOVE living here...if it rains, it'll rain for a little bit then the sun pops up. But even though the lack of sun shining in Chicago was a HUGE reason we moved to Colorado I have to admit that sometimes it's really nice to have a gloomy, rainy day where I can just stay under the covers or sit on the couch and blog or read or just do nothing and not feel guilty for needing to be outside enjoying life while the sun is shining. I mean that's how us Midwesterener's think, right?  If it's nice outside you better get outside to enjoy it because it won't last long! I remember many days in high school and college in April or May where the sun would come out and it was nearly impossible to go to school. In college we'd certainly not go to class and call it a personal day. Heck, half the professors would let you out early to enjoy the day and if they didn't they we're clearly mean-hearted awful people. Obviously work days were no different...when the sun is out after months of hibernation, you get out there and enjoy it! Call in sick, eat your lunch outside, go get your car washed, go for a run, whatever...just do something outside! Living in Colorado with a typical Midwesterner's mindset of sun = get out there and be busy, it gets truly exhausting! The sun is always out! Please just give me a gloomy day where I can just stay in and be lazy for crying out loud!

Well lucky me! I got those days...4 of them to be exact.  The rain never stopped this week and the sun never came out to shine. The week at school got really busy and rather stressful. I was having a hard time dealing with some issues at work and was literally almost in tears yesterday. All I wanted to do was crawl into a ball and cry, or lay on the couch with a good book or some Sex and the City reruns. Who'd have ever thought I'd actually get that wish?  Really...who'd have thought? They canceled the entire school districts school because of possible flooding?! In Chicago we would get as much rain we've had the past 4 days in just a few hours and life goes on. Heck, this much rain is pretty much normal in Illinois...and instead we in Colorado get a day out of school?!  Woohooo!  (as a discloser...I am, in no way, saying that I am judging the superintendents decision...things were getting really bad in our district's area last night and the devastation up north is horrendous. And this is not normal at all for Colorado to get this much rain, therefore the water has nowhere to go. People were not overreacting at just a little rainfall...it was real folks! Instead, I am just fully enjoying the fact that things haven't gotten any worse here and that we got a day off for it!)

This day off has been an answer to prayer for more reasons that I can even say. The gloominess and cooler temps are such a warm welcome for me!  (easy for me to say when I know the sun will come back out and shine all winter long!)  I have already caught up on some much needed sleep, spent some quality time with God, done laundry, relaxed with a book, cleaned, am blogging and have a long list of other things left to do today that I know I can get done. What an amazing, wonderful day it's been.  And the kicker...I'm starting to see a little bit of sky behind those clouds and have a feeling the sun might just be shining pretty soon!

Happy 3 day weekend to me...happy weekend to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking of you guys, wondering if the floods were affecting you!

    ReplyDelete