Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Grown-Up Decision

Jason and I made a very grown-up and responsible decision the past month.  As everyone knows since I will not stop talking about it...I want a house. And bad!  We've looked at many and found many we can afford and love but every time it came time to make a decision we've felt this wasn't the right time. I've had the hardest time explaining it except that God was telling us to wait.

Through the waiting and after much praying, discussing and looking at our finances we made the decision to hold off on the house and instead pay off all my grad school loans.  The rate was ridiculously high on them (over 6%) and over a ten year period which meant the payments were high. We agreed this was the wisest financial move for us.

Paying off my loans means we will have a pretty long time ahead of having to save to replenish our funds for a down payment for a house but we both knew this was the route we are supposed to take.  I blame Dave Ramsey for this prompting...but in all seriousness it's the most freeing feeling too.

I have still looked at homes on Zillow every single day...sometimes several times a day but at this point I know it's just that -- just looking.  I'm getting more and more comfortable with the idea of living in our apartment for a (long) while longer.  I'm so thankful that both Jason and I are on the same page and listening to God and where He's leading us.  The feeling of being (almost) debt-free is pretty amazing.  Seriously, thanks Dave Ramsey for all you've done to help us get here!  Buying our dream house someday will really be one of the most rewarding feelings!

1 comment:

  1. We are so much alike Steph! I've been yearning for a new house for over 5 years! The patience and persistence I believe does pay off (as was God's prompting for us to hold off for a while too!) Tormenting on the human soul, but wise choices always feel "right"! :)

    ReplyDelete