Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Blue Apron Update

I posted on Instagram that we were going to try Blue Apron and a few people wanted to know what we thought so here we go!

We got three meals and all three didn't sound too appetizing but, of course we tried them anyway. The first night we made Roasted Cauliflower Panzanella. It took me about 40 minutes to make from start to finish and sending my husband to the grocery store for mayonnaise because for whatever reason we were out and I didn't see the little container from Blue Apron that already had it. I left off the almonds on my salad since I hate nuts but the salad was delicious! Mouthwatering goodness!  As I'm typing this, I want to have it again for dinner tonight. Jason agreed, that it was very good, and would eat it again. My only negatives was that it took me a long time to make, it wasn't a large portion and it didn't have any meat. But we both admitted afterwards that were we full and satisfied so we were impressed! And the ingredients include everything, even staple items!


Second meal was the mushroom & Poblano Pepper Quesadillas. I actually made them for a late lunch on Saturday because that's kind of our routine before church on Saturdays. Again, it took me a long time, over an hour to make from start to finish. Basically Lucas' entire nap was spent prepping, cooking and eating, so major negative there. The recipe was very easy to follow and super tasty! I'd never have thought radishes on my quesadilla would be good, but it was delicious. We were shocked at the portion size again but in the end were both satisfied and full! We both wanted meat again but agreed it was just as good without! Again, very impressed!



The last meal of the week was Kimchi & Barley Miso Ramen. I'll admit, Jason made this one while I entertained Lucas and got some laundry done. He told me it was an easy recipe to follow but again took about 45 minutes to make. The portion size on this one was HUGE, enough to feed 4 people easily, but also lacked meat. I had one bite and couldn't eat anymore, I hated it. Jason liked it and had all the leftovers for a couple days though!



So my end verdict is that we both really liked it a lot more than we thought. I loved the convenience of having the meals selected for me and not having to go to the grocery store to get the food. I tried new foods I wouldn't have ever thought to try. No food was wasted, they only send the portion you need. Which the portions were perfect sizes, probably even on the large size. Quite honestly I felt like I was dining at a fancy restaurant every night. However, we both like meat with our meals. And my only other real complaint is I was looking for an easier way to have dinner on the table every night. My time is too precious to me to take up to an hour on meal prep each afternoon/night. There seemed to be a lot of steps that I didn't appreciate enough (like shredding my own cheese or picking parsley leaves off the stems.) (but I also hate to cook, so I'd rather throw food in a crockpot.) I'd have LOVED Blue Apron before having kids, I'd have had the fanciest and tastiest dinners on the table each night but now I just don't have that much time. The only other thing I didn't like was that it doesn't get delivered until Wednesday. We almost always eat out or have date night on Friday nights and like I said, Saturdays we do an early, late lunch/early dinner before church, so the foods were delivered on dates that don't fit our schedule. I'd much rather have them come on Sunday or even Monday or Tuesday.

If you have the time to cook and are open to try new meals, I highly recommend Blue Apron.  We liked it enough to have it delivered a few more weeks.

Since it's taken me days to actually finish this post, I'll share that we had a major blizzard yesterday when we should have received our dinners. Because of the storm, there was no deliveries or mail. But I received an email from
blue Apron telling me it was being well cared for and would be here by today. And sure enough it was. I really appreciated their attentiveness (but now I have 3 meals to eat in about 4 days and it's almost the weekend when we typically eat out.) Also, I LOVE the menu for this week, two include meats! 

Another update is that the day of the blizzard our family came down with the flu and still have it. So we wasted all of last weeks meals. The menu looked delicious and I was so excited to try it it none of us were eating or had the end here to cook. So a huge waste of money on our part. Now next week Jason is traveling again and I was so sick the past week I didn't think to cancel next weeks so I guess Lucas and I will be eating fancy dinners each night next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment