Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Home for the Holidays!

Jason and I have had a tradition of switching holidays every other year, so one year we'll do Thanksgiving with his family so Christmas with mine. Then the next year we'll do Thanksgiving with mine and Christmas with his. This year we stuck with the tradition and did Thanksgiving with his and then Christmas with mine. We decided to go back to IL this year. After my trip back in June which was super fun but so exhausting seeing different friends and family every single meal and added in coffee dates and everything else, I decided that this trip needed to be different. I made an effort to enjoy time with my immediate family and spend a couple (much-needed) days in the city. But we lucked out and plenty of friends and family came to us so we got to spend time with them too!

While we did see Jason's family for Thanksgiving, Jason's brother and sister-in-law couldn't make the trip so on our way to IL we stopped in to see them and their beautiful new house. We had an awesome time celebrating Christmas with them and even FaceTimed with Jason's mom and step-dad while we opened their presents. (Isn't technology wonderful?)

In Illinois we spent a lot of time with my parents and even got to spend a couple days in the city. I've been beyond homesick for city life with all the hustle and bustle of life so I really enjoyed some quality time there. Huge thank you to my friend, Nikki, who opened their gorgeous townhouse to us so we had somewhere to stay.

On our way back we stopped back at Jason's brothers and sister-in-laws for a couple nights where we'll be bringing in the new year! (Jasons mom and step dad even dropped in for breakfast with us!) Driving back tomorrow and I cannot wait to be back home to my own bed where I get to snuggle my favorite kitty!

Highlights of our trip include: (but are NOT limited to)

  • Willow Creek Christmas service (where we met friends and their not-so-newborn 5 month old baby!)
  • Portillos (three times, that seems like the perfect amount for 8 days)
  • A couple days with my precious nieces
  • A sleep over at my grandmas, of course...complete with wine AND a visit from Aunt Shelby and even Uncle Joe this time!
  • Mom's delicious homecooked Christmas dinner complete with ham - yummmm
  • A trip to my favorite grocery store, Mariano's
  • H&M (twice) 
  • Christmas Eve night at Grandmas with my aunts, uncles, cousins, brother, sister-in-law, mom and lots of  kids
  • Manis/Pedis with my mom
  • Extra time with my cousin's kids
  • Lunch with some college/high school friends
  • Yolk for breakfast
  • Michigan Ave. acting as tourists. Except now I guess we are...
  • Shopping day with my mom
  • Christmas Eve day with my mom and brother's family (my poor dad was sick and had to sleep through ALL of the Christmas festivities this year)
  • Lunch with my friend who is pregnant and I've been dying to hug since I've learned the news
  • Cooper got to see his BFF, Sophie, and played and played and played, and played and played and played...
  • Christmas walk with the dogs at Fermilab
  • Uncle Julio's with my uncle and aunt, eating way, way, way too much chips and salsa but didn't feel even slightly guilty for that
  • Burger Bar (Thanks Brooke for meeting us!)
  • Giordanos
  • Willow Creek Church service...may have shed many tears there
  • Christmas at my parents (dad started feeling a little better by the afternoon!)
  • BYOB Sushi date with Jason's newly engaged friend and fiancĂ©
This past week was amazing with family and friends. Thanks to everyone who met up with us and thanks to those who understood that we weren't able to see everyone! Thankful for family, friends and being able to be home for the holidays!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great and meaningful trip!! So glad we got to see you!

    ReplyDelete