Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Colorado - How I Love Thee

We've lived in Colorado now for just a little over 2 months and while living here, I've realized there are many differences from living in Illinois.  Some are probably a lot more different because I moved from a big city to the suburbs and others are differences of states or the climate or what have you...but there are many differences so I thought I'd compile a fun little list to keep track of.  I may or may not be updating this list as the year continues.
  • It's a desert here...so sand rather than dirt.  (this was literally the first thing I noticed)
  • There's lots and lots of little mini cacti everywhere...they grow in the middle of nowhere!
  • When driving, the right lane always ends.  I've just learned to always stay in the middle or left lane so I am not causing any wrecks at the last second when I need to get over.  
  • On that...the right turn lane usually has a yielding lane to turn into, but it's super short.  So even when turning, you're expected to hit 55 mph in .05 seconds. Not sure who designed the roads here but it doesn't take a genius to figure out the dangers in that one!
  • Sunglasses are not just a fashion accessory here.  They are a requirement. (and I LOVE IT!)
  • Coyotes are in our backyard! (our backyard is really an open park...not literally our backyard). We hear them almost every night in the park behind our apartment.  Which actually when in the safety of our own bedroom it's actually really cool!
  • Bring a jacket everywhere you go, even if it's 90 degrees and sunny when you leave. You'll need at some point before you return home.
  • Sunscreen is a must at all times. I've learned the hard way...twice!
  • Moths are in mass amounts here and they're really big.
  • NBC is messed up.  The Today Show is crazy...showing the wrong shows at the wrong time (according to me and what I'm used to back home) and Ellen is on at the same time as Nate Berkus.  For a girl who doesn't watch a lot of TV I'm having a hard time adjusting.  NBC, get it right!
  • The weather is crazy.  Sun one minute, rain the next, but then sun the next...all in about 3 minutes time
  • I've found my car shifting in ways I've never felt it shift in my almost 7 years of owning it.  It is sooooo hilly here! 
  • Random animals appear out of nowhere at the most random places. It's crazy and fun. I could be driving down a residential suburban road and look to my left and see buffalo grazing. Or driving down the extressway and look over to see a bull running and bucking through the fields. (this one almost caused me to drive off the road)  There are horses everywhere.  Alpaca's, elk, deer. The deer are everywhere. In yards, on sides of streets.  Crossing streets.  Everywhere.  
  • Everyone here drives really really slow.  On what I could call a country road open for miles and miles where it's 55 or 65 mph in IL it'll be 40mph and people here go 40 mph...or even 30 mph.  Open road!!  Are you kidding?!  I have places to be!
  • To explain that last point...the fines and penalties for a speeding ticket are much higher than in IL... fortunately I didn't learn this the hard way but through a friend who did so I am now one of those who are driving the speed limit all the time too. And I still have places to be...just at a much slower pace.
  • There are so many snakes here.  I've encountered about 5 up close since I moved here and many more from a distance.  I haven't seen a rattle snake and really hope never to but know it's just a matter of time.
  • There's a dance radio station here. I don't know why I find that funny, but I do. 
  • Everything explodes in your face when opened.  Mascara and lotions are especially prone to this.  Chips and other food items are also effected so when packing a lunch there's a lot less room!
  • Speed limit on many (if not most) highways is 75 MPH.  While I thought this was cool when driving down straight roads, I have realized how dangerous it is on hilly and windy roads with big trucks.  That's just the worrier Stephanie coming out though.
  • I've found two country radio stations!  WOO HOOO
  • I've also found two Christian stations!  Another woohooooo!
  • On the Christian thing...there's a lot of those here too.  And a lot of churches.  Just when we think we've tried them all, we find another to try.
  • The spiders are super speedy here.  Me not being a fan of spiders is very easily creeped out by this.  
  • There's prairie dogs everywhere.  Everywhere. I think they're super cute.  Cooper just wants to chase and/or eat every one of them.
  • We have to think/prepare for Mountain lions and bears here.  (I'm not talking about here in the burbs but in the mountains.)
  • It is SO dry here.  My heals are literally cracking. I now understand why a cracked heal lotion exists.    I will be making a purchase very soon.
  • Because of the dryness my contacts hurt pretty much all the time now.  I did buy a new brand which has solved all the problems I was having in IL but eye drops have become my best friend since we moved.
  • Its hard to find a McDonalds here.  They do exist but they're not on every other street corner.  Did I mention how much more healthy/fit everyone is here?  I think these two may be linked! :)
  • They play Justin Bieber on the radio.  And this girl likes it! :)
  • There really aren't too many Colorado natives around.  But when you do find one they are oh soooo very proud to let you know.  To the point that they put CO Native bumper stickers on their car.  That proud. 
  • We're an hour later than all you folks in IL (or two from the east coast!)...and that hour really makes a big difference.  I see posts on Facebook about my favorite TV shows and what I have missed before I even get the chance to see it.  AND I get texts way too early in the morning (usually on Saturday mornings..hint hint to all of you reading this!) from some of my favorite people...and find myself sitting down to return calls to some of those same people but realizing its too late.  That one little hour makes a much bigger difference than I'd have ever thought! 
  • U-Turns are legal. At least that is what I think. I am not really 100% on this one but everyone does them which means so do I! There is such a freedom is making U-Turns, isn't there!?  Plus they just feel rebellious and fun to do.  
  • You can't buy liquor at the grocery store...you actually have to go to the liquor store...which closes at 10:00.  I won't go into much detail about this one except that whoever thought of this idea wasn't thinking of me and my love for wine when they made that law! :) (maybe this goes along with the healthier lifestyle choices of Coloradoans?)
  • I've seen more rainbows here in two months than I have my entire life in Chicago.  
  • The street names here are the same as 900 different towns.  If I have found a Fremont St on this block, you'll certainly find it in the next subdivision over but instead of Street it'll be Road or parkway or Circle or whatever
  • On that note, Google maps hasn't visited this area yet.  Everything is too new so addresses and major streets don't show up.  
  • Dryness means dusty dusty....which means I constantly have a dirty car which is a huge pet peeve of mine.  Thankful that the car wash packages here are about 1/4 of what they cost in Chicago.  Now if I could just hire a cleaning lady to clean my dusty furniture inside the house with open windows and I'd be set!. ;-)
  • As I said, the weather pretty much changes every other minute.  It really is true what Coloradoans say, "If you don't like the weather IN Colorado, wait a minute."  But what is so cool is that you can always see when it's coming in.  You can tell from miles and miles away when the rain is coming and from what direction.
Colorado has been a lot of fun...these changes have shocked me in some ways.  It's still the states so it's amazing to me how different it is from Illinois but I've loved noticing all the differences!  Not to mention all the outdoor activities we've been able to experience because of the amazing climate, weather and terrain! Love you Colorado!  Really love all the changes your have brought into my life! :)  I'm exited to see what else this crazy weathered state has in store for me. :)

1 comment:

  1. Flexitol for your cracked heels. Believe me living in AZ for 6 years I have tried them all! This product works!!! Around $9.99 for a tube. Made in Australia.

    ReplyDelete