Tuesday, January 6, 2015

One Year Later

It was one year ago today at almost exactly this time that I was sitting in this exact spot looking out the window unaware of how drastically and awesomely my world was about to change in 10 short hours. I sit here in the living room, now turned play room of our house. But I'll back up to recount our fun little journey of the house and Lucas all in one day.

Last year on January 5, Sunday afternoon, I was 37 1/2 weeks pregnant hoping our sweet boy would come late so there would be less time that I'd have to leave him to go back to work. It was the last day of winter break and we had small group later that evening. During the late afternoon I was leaking some kind of fluid but when you're pregnant all sorts of weird things are happening to your body that you're not really used to. We went to small group like normal and while there I asked 2 friends if they knew what it felt like when your water breaks. Both assured me I would know. That night ended up being an emotional one for me because our small group decided to stop meeting. It's all a blur to me now but it hit me like a ton of bricks, out of no where. That night at home, I was trying to go through the motions  so disappointed we'd no longer be meeting as a small group but eventually went to bed all ready to have a half day at work the next day. In the morning we had our inspection at our hopefully new house, then I would go into work for the afternoon.

At around 11:30 pm I woke up to a gush of water but it's wasn't a huge amount of water. I called our doctor who was in a very deep sleep who told me to come in to the emergency room...that my water probably broke. Our bags had already been packed but suddenly we felt very unprepared for this moment! Jason and I checked our packing lists once and then again, both giddy with excitement but more nervous than anything. Poor Cooper was beyond confused as to why we were leaving in the middle of the night! It was -10 degrees or some awful, well below zero temperatures but we headed out to the hospital.

We got to the hospital, they checked us in and I was assigned a sweet nurse. She hooked me up to the monitor, told me I was having contractions and started doing all sorts of tests to me. Minor detail but one I was thankful for...Sex and the City the movie was playing so it was great to have that one in the background and to help with the nerves and tiredness. After a couple hours we learned that, nope...my water had NOT broken and were told to go home. We questioned the nurse and the doctor several times and had them do the little test again because if it wasn't amniotic fluid, then what in the world was leaking out of me!? Nope...not amniotic fluid...go home and rest.

I was sort of annoyed. I made Jason and I both get up in the middle of the night to go to the hospital for a couple hours just to be sent home!? Was I losing my mind and really have no idea whats going on with my own body!?

Its now morning...I've been leaking something all night long. When I stood up I feel like there's a puddle below me. I call the Doctor and they say to come in at 11:00. Perfect! We can go to the inspection together...I can take lots of pictures of the house to plan for all the decorating I'm going to do before Lucas comes! We drive separately to the inspection. I'm walking around the house taking pictures of literally every little detail of the house while Jason is talking with the realtor and inspector about more important details of our house. About 10 minutes before I had to leave for the doctor I sat in the living room on the couch and looked outside the window looking at the mountains. At the time I didn't know it was such a peaceful moment but looking back, it was the last moment of quiet I'd have for a very long time.

Off to the doctor I went, at this time...still expecting to be sent back to work but at least with some answers of what was going on. When my doctor came in and saw the table I was sitting on she immediately told me that yes, indeed my water had broke and that I needed to go upstairs to start the pitocin... I would be having our baby today. I started balling. This wasn't how it was supposed to go! Jason wasn't even with me, we unpacked our bags from the night before. Cooper was still at home.  It was 2 1/2 weeks early and again I wanted him to come late. I was upset because my sub notes were far from being ready, I wanted to go back to work and see the kids. But those were all my fears creeping in. I was also crying tears of sheer joy. A feeling I could never explain but could only feel. This was the day we got to meet our baby boy!

A phone call to Jason and one to my mom as I was walking down the hallway to the elevator and up to labor and delivery. While checking in I felt my first contraction...but even then I am not really sure I'd have noticed if I hadn't been told I was in labor. I begged for some food as I had only had a bagel 5 hours before and was starving. We learned at our baby class to always eat before you go into the hospital because once you're admitted they won't give you any food. Yes, this was what I was most concerned about at the moment. Good to know I had my priorities straight! Being hungry during labor  and while pushing terrified me as much as the labor itself!

I was set up in a room at around 12:15, met my amazing nurse and it was only about an hour and Jason came in around 1:30 with all the bags. Arrangements for Cooper had been made and we were going to have our baby! About 3 1/2 hours in and them upping the pitocin several times, I got an epidural. I cried like a baby at this...not because of the pain but because she hugged me and told me to just relax into her shoulders. I was a sobbing mess into my nurse. Sorry about that, nurse. Your hug was more than I could take at that moment but will always be one of the best moments of my labor.  I felt like I could finally let go of all my fears in that moment and recharge as I cried into your scrubs as you hugged me! I napped a little after that, they gave me some popsicles, they switched my nurse (two times more?! not cool!), gave me oxygen and at around 6:55 I started pushing. I pushed for 45 minutes and our sweet little Lucas was born at 7:40 p.m weighing 6 lbs 13 oz and 19 inches long.  It was the most surreal moment of my life. While I was obviously there I felt more like I was above looking in on all the action. I remember holding him for the first time and it just not feeling real. I nursed him and they let us hold him for well over an hour. Such special bonding time! They gave him his bath much later that night but in our room which was so special, so Jason could see and participate in the bath. They moved us into our post-partum room and we enjoyed lots more snuggling with our sweet boy.

I'd like to say it was the best day of our lives...but each day since with Lucas has been just as good.  I can't even begin to express how much joy he brings into our lives. So very thankful for that very cold day on January 6, 2014. Changed our lives forever.  Love you sweet, Lucas Jon!

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading about your birth with Lucas!! And love how in all of those hurried moments, that it all made perfect sense!

    ReplyDelete