Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Time for your MONTHLY Self Exam! - Breast Cancer Awareness Month


It's October...breast cancer awareness month! Have YOU been doing your monthly breast self exam!? I'll admit, since getting pregnant I was a little more obsessed with the fact that I was actually sporting some real, normal sized boobs and was too preoccupied with everything else that goes on with your body during pregnancy. Then I've been breastfeeding the past 8+ months so I've slacked big time! All of that is NOT okay. However, I'm happy to say that I have gotten bad into the routine and you need to too!

According to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women, except for skin cancers. About 1 in 8 (12%) women in the US will develop invasive breast cancer during their lifetime. 
The American Cancer Society's estimates for breast cancer in the United States for 2014 are: 
  • About 232,670 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in women.
  • About 62,570 new cases of carcinoma in situ (CIS) will be diagnosed (CIS is non-invasive and is the earliest form of breast cancer). 
  • About 40,000 women will die from breast cancer  

Prevention is key!! 

Remember those little pink visual breast exam instruction cards you used to see hanging in your dorm showers? Yeah, I picked up one of those and stick it in my tampon box so once a month I remember to hang that in my shower to remind me to do my exam. Once done, the card goes back into the tampon box. (This obviously explains why I forgot to do it while pregnant...next pregnancy I'll have to figure out a different plan!) 

Check those boobies girls!! It literally can save your life!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment